Saturday, January 10, 2009

It's opening weekend for the new Daron Aronofsky film The Wrestler signaling Mickey Rourke's cinematic comeback. I am really excited about this film. 1) I used to love watching pro wrestling - as a kid, I would watch television matches on Sunday mornings with my dad; one of his few days off, and one of our few father-daughter activities. My favorite wrestlers were Rowdy Roddy Doyle. Hulk Hogan was always embroiled in a battle with Randy Savage. I'm not sure who's side I was on. I think Jesse "The Body" Ventura did commentary in those days of the WWF. The WWF was way better than GLOW. 2) I am fascinated by all things Mickey Rourke - I rented "Wild Orchid" on Kort's Hollywood Video account while I was on retreat in Port Townsend. I'd be too embarrassed to suggest that we watch it together, because it's an atrocious piece of acting, and it's the final sex scene in the last five minutes of the movie for which the movie is infamous, along the lines of Vincent Gallo's Brown Bunny. Kort and I sat through that one in Boston, and Kort didn't let me pick any movies for a long time after that. If you want to see a sensual movie set in Brazil, just rent Black Orpheus Oh, Mickey, what happened to you? You are still beautiful to me, even with a ruined face.