E X P O S I T I O N
In a documentary on the Yellow River, the filmmaker charts progress, mapping changes shaped by Three Gorges Dam
follows “Jerry” Bo Yu Chen & “Cindy” Yu Shui
working-class laborers in China’s hospitality industry,
pleasure-boat tours of Old China catering to Westerners
Jerry & Cindy parroting, “It’s my pleasure.”
*
To prep for Beijing, I vaccinate, pack host gifts,
check garments for holes & tears,
book a date at the beauty school where a fresh class of
trainees choose names like costume jewelry
Gwyneth & Eli; Emu & Stella
girls that curl cut & color
in the mirror I watch a woman
pluck a cell phone & cash
from her cleavage
*
In the desert far from water, a hotel rises from the Gobi
Men in suits & pencil-skirted women
greet guests Good evening! Good morning!
Breakfast is on the roof.
The view of The Taklamakan as surreal as painted stage sets.
*
What’s not stocked at markets, off-season in May:
winter melon, new year’s lanterns, ripened pineapple
Banners touting Olympic tourism canvas streets.
*
Holidays, war, & packaged events produce Kong Ming candles
hand-scripted with prayers
wishes on display, I watch
witnesses disengage:
BBQ chefs tending cook-fires,
wait-staff lighting fuel cells
launch heart-shaped lamps - let go
*
the true & the staged
At midnight a white peony explodes in the sky
cascading waterfalls of magnesium and aluminum light
mark a marriage on the dunes
*
Such distance between unplanned feeling, heart’s memory.
No comments:
Post a Comment