I called my apartment management company, and I was apparently the 2nd person to call and complain about the confederate flag on my neighbor's balcony, not the first. The manager expressed the inability to do much about it as the community guidelines/rules don't expressly prohibit from flag decorations (though they hand you a 20-page manual upon signing your lease which expressly tells you that they can tell you whenever they want to pull down your patio furniture or decorations if they are deemed inappropriate by management) - i.e. "if someone wanted to hang a U.S. flag, would they be infringing on the rights of a foreigner was her logic." She then acted sympathetic - i.e. as a mother with a young child, she said that she was upset by the flag and had in fact talked to our neighbors, but they balked and refused to take it down and so her hands were tied (hello, are you or are you not management?). So manager told me that if she got a 3rd complaint, she could issue a written request/violation that would facilitate the neighbor taking it down. I rallied a 3rd caller - he didn't get the manager, but left a message. Yesterday, the flag was moved off of the immediate balcony, deeper into the balcony, so that now it covers the window on the balcony, but is STILL completely visible.
My husband says, "It's a process, these things take time."
I have found the corporate management headquarters for the apartment complex. They are located in Dallas but they have a PR and Marketing division, etc. I am thinking about giving them a call. Leave a comment if you have an opinion.
4 comments:
Have you talked to your neighbors to try to understand why they hang that flag? Or is that impossible? In other words, are your neighbors the dukes of hazzard (just idiots) or are they dangerous? If dangerous, the flag is the least of your problems.
Talking to the neighbors is an impossibility. They are college-aged kids who believe they are expressing their Southern pride and moved the flag back a matter of inches in a passive-aggressive rejection of authority. Do I believe they are dangerous? I haven't seen enough yet to make an assessment..
But yes, I do think that they are looking for a fight.
In that case I think you should definitely call management in Dallas. Or move. Maybe you can get the management to let you out of your lease ...
Post a Comment