Main Street
out front of
the Conway post office
fresh from mailing
notes to a college
search committee, I turn over
the last question asked
snap back
to earth when
sputum lands
inches from
my leather dress shoes
three teenage
white boys parked,
the one in the passenger seat
who watched me walk
up; timed his throat
clearing just so spitting towards
isn’t no crime
this ain’t China w/
some government
ban on discharging
in public the veil
between town &
gown stripped bare
I climb inside the rental
car where my husband
asks if everything’s okay
confused I am careful
when I describe spit coming
in my direction, thinking
of our next-door neighbors
in an even smaller town,
good ol' boys who proudly
fly the southern cross
3 comments:
What is WRONG with people? Rhetorical question. I'm so sorry you have to go thru this shit, Shin Yu.
John! The important thing is that we're out of Conway. It was one of my first experiences there. Crazy to think that it was "better" then what we left behind in Texas. I am finding myself writing about the experiences now in a book that will be about living in the Deep South.
I'd say I can't wait to read it but that might imply that I want to read about some horrid experiences. Which I don't mean to imply.
Did I ever tell you that I was standing on a corner in riverside when a guy rode by on his bike and said, "Go bak to where you came from"?
I've always wondered where he thought I was from. Probably not Chicago.
Post a Comment