Friday, April 14, 2006

Last Ink

I am no closer to writing a wedding toast to the bride and groom who marry a week from today in San Diego. But after reading hundreds upon hundreds of poems on love, friendship, birth, death, anniversaries, companionship, tripe, etc. and trolling the databases of the Poetry Foundation and the American Academy of Poets (which duplicate many poems by too many of the same ho-hum poets), I arrived at the feeling that the poem to be read at my friend's wedding would not be found within any of those "resources." I turned this morning to my newly assembled and organized bookshelves which need reorganizing since it took me a good 20 minutes to find the Japanese poetry anthology I was looking for. Nothing found in that tome, but my eye fell on Michael Ondaatje's HANDWRITING. I've had Ondaatje on my mind, having just watched The English Patient for the first time this week and thinking about Minghella's film in comparison to the richness of the novel. HANDWRITING holds one of my favorite Ondaatje poems, "Last Ink" which I saw and heard him read in Chicago at the Art Institute in 1999. Well, actually, I probably heard and saw it earlier than that, before it was part of a published collection, when Ondaatje  read it on a Robin Blaser panel on a hot sweaty summer day under the big white tent on the Naropa lawn. It is the kind of poem that stops the heart's beating. A poem of love and friendship  that encompasses wide expanses of history, art, death, and memory.

1 comment:

david raphael israel said...

Xin Yu,
knowing nothing of bride nor groom, a peanut gallery gratuitous suggestion would seem rather worse than equivocal; but the problem of poem-selection seems an interesting one; and your description of the discursive quest is likewise. Some selectors will opt for olden things. One poem that came to mind is from the Shi Jing [Shih Ching], from memory (my own version -- the poem, in original & somebody's translation is found in anthology Sunflower Splendor, and of course in other packagings of the Shi Jing, presumably including Pound's or Arthur Waley's); but year ago this was how I presumed to translate it:

Of gentle maidens she most fair
awaits me by the wall I know
she I love but see not there
I scratch my head bewildered so
Of gentle maidens she most comely
brings a red-hued reed to me
the red-hued reed indeed is lovely
pleasing is the girl's beauty
She yields from the meadow a soft leaflet
truely lovely yea 'tis rare
not that thou art lovely but
thou art the gift of one most fair


cheers,
d.i.