Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Another day at the salt races....

The ex-priest has a habit of mixing his cliches. On the phone this morning he said to the person at the other end of the phone, "I'm on that...like a dog on food." We all sat around puzzled for awhile, and then one of the editors said aloud, "I think you mean 'like a dog on a bone.' " Another editor piped in "Or white on rice."

Many months before I arrived here, the ex-priest was getting out from a meeting when he said to a colleague, "Well, it's back to the salt races." The person looked at him oddly. Later, he realized it is "salt mines" or "another day at the races."

One of the real estate editors has a heavy smoking habit. He likes to say, "I'm going out to check the weather." He said this one day when it was pouring rain outside, and that's when I realized that he probably wasn't checking the weather. He also likes to say, "I'm going to see a man about a horse." I think this is a euphemism also for smoking, but K says it refers to going to the men's room - i.e. both have a stall.

No comments: