Sunday, August 31, 2008

Bumbershoot

The best part of yesterday's fest for me was the Beck concert in the p.m. and the visual arts exhibition in the back of the Seattle Center.

This is the drawing room at Bumbershoot. The Gage Academy provided live figure models for various stations around the room. They provided free art supplies, paper, easels, etc. And live music! The guy singing yesterday, looked a lot like WT.

Drawing Room at Bumbershoot

Drawing Room at Bumbershoot

Sort of a temporary wall mural created by the community.

Live Figure Model, Bumbershoot
This model looked like a man in drag to me, but I couldn't be sure.

One Pot, Bumbershoot
Another of the visual art galleries was occupied by the one pot performance group. They stage big banquets in unorthodox places like median dividers. In the back of the room, the food was getting prepared. Books were scattered over the table as conversation starters. I've seen this kind of thing in Andreas Strauss' work - my co-resident at TAV in '06. I think the Europeans have been doing the whole cooking-happening-art thing for a few years in Vienna and Berlin. My point is not that all things are derivative, but there is something compelling about the power of feeding people to bring communities together.

Mouratidi installation
I was very excited about the Mourtidi installation throughout the visual art area. It was visual anthropology, ethnography and documentary work at some of its best.