I had a nice catch-up session with a friend involved in Boston poetry this morning who's seen many an ugly blog war erupt between contemporary poets in the last year involving cafeshop.com g-strings, attacks at one's maculinity/sexuality, etc. Blog conflicts have been going on much longer then the current dispute regarding the Asian American anthology.
I think an appropriately absurdist analogy for all of this mayhem is the movie I HEART HUCKABEES. Maybe some of you have seen it. And if you have not - go see it for its comic relief. It provides a strong living reenactment of parallel issues in our present reality. Yours truly is played by Jason Schwartzman aka Albert, Bino is played by Marky Mark aka Tommy, and Victoria is played by Jude Law aka Brad. Note the importance of poetry in the plot line which actually opens the film ("you rock"), and the ridiculousness and futility of the poetry presented in the story. When you torch someone's jetskis you deal with the karmic repercussions, but did Brad have it coming. It's good to have an other on the journey.
No comments:
Post a Comment