Sunday, November 21, 2004
What do elevators and art galleries have in common? This is the question Candida Alvarez' Subcity Projects poses. Housed in non-functioning elevator space on the 8th floor of the Fine Arts Building on Lower Michigan Ave., Alvarez invites a variety of artists to install work in this peculiar space. I am supposed to be installing a work in this space next year and while I had some serious resistance initially around the idea of the space in general, I am now growing to be very excited about the possibilities. I see the elevator as a metaphor for the high culture of art, likening this space to a pedestal or vitrine under which objects are displayed. Works are literally suspended on the 8th floor of a non-functional elevator and the doors of the elevator are padlocked for security, keeping the viewer from full engagement with the work. The elevator is an interesting vehicle in that it literally transports people/objects to higher levels, but at the same time, occupies such a daily/mundane function of human life/our everyday environment. High vs. low culture.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment