Friday, December 17, 2004
Hyphen Magazine in San Francisco has asked me to do a short write-up on the new generation of Asian American literary anthologies. The editor and I narrowed down works to be covered and looks like I'll be comparing Screaming Monkeys, the University of Illinois anthology, Son of the Dragon (forthcoming project of Nick and Marlon Esguerra) and Nick and Eileen's Pinoy Poetics. I've been reading Pinoy Poetics which is a fabulous and wonderfully edited collection of work with statements from the authors on their creative process and their feelings/experiences of cultural identity. I expect to blog more about the many new and talented authors in this collection that I am only just discovering. It's been an interesting exercise to look at these collections as I'm getting ready to teach a class at SMU and I have been feeling rather conflicted about the course book which I inherited and will be teaching this semester. There are some really great teaching resources out there and I will definitely be bringing in some supplemental readings...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
wow shin yu, you are the perfect person to do this hyphen write-up. i can't wait to read it, as well as your forthcoming blog entries. peace, barbara
Post a Comment