Monday, November 07, 2005

Other models - Kort's mom has taught figure drawing courses for the last 20 years out of their house in Richardson. When I was in Austin last month, I learned that Hoa teaches poetry classes out of her home as well - what is perhaps most inspiring about Hoa's work is that she charges a modest, nominal fee for the once a week workshops - i.e. it's not about a sustainable income but to pass along the teachings and to give to the community. Quite a few poets teach private workshops - Diane DiPrima, Lisa Jarnot, Kim Addonizio, to name a few - open up any issue of Poetry Flash. The benefits here are clear - you screen your own students, there are no grades, and there is absolute freedom. Those who want to study with you will seek you out, as with Hoa. I am thinking about going back to a community model of teaching - maybe working more closely again with the Writer's Garret on their 1-1 mentorship program, leaving academia behind...?

No comments: