Thursday, December 11, 2008

Centrum

Not just a multi-vitamin...Centrum is an artist residency program in Fort Worden, two miles from downtown Port Townsend. My renovated cabin is a close neighbor to Copper Canyon and the Madrona Mind-Body Institute. I have a view of the ocean and from my front room, I can see the waters moving. I've been reading, sleeping, and doing some writing, but there are some definite shifts happening in my creative voice. The spaciousness has allowed me to arrive at a point where I was finally able to process why I left anthropology for museum studies.

Port Townsend is a Victorian seaport town full of hippies, retirees, and interesting people with names like Tarani, Nala, Tinker and Sweethouse. If I thought the Gene Juarez Academy in Seattle attracted people with interesting names (they actually choose their own studio names - i.e. Astrid, Stella, Gwynneth) - Port Townsend attracts a whole different breed. The town has four excellent thrift/consignment shops and a food coop. Multiple yoga studios and CAM practitioners in abundance. Small town living, good for the country-hearted country mouse.