Thursday, July 24, 2003

Mark Lamoureux reports that once on an outing to a local zendo in Long Island he had a rabbit sighting in front of a Buddha statue. This I see as a very auspicious symbol. I wonder if Mark was born in the year of the rabbit, like me. A couple years ago when I went on a vortex tour in Sedona, the tour leader, a very mystical and crunchy guy, Gabriel Masterson, formerly from Chicago pulled out a deck of Native American tarot cards and every member of the tour group chose a card (without looking). I pulled the rabbit. In Native folklore the rabbit is a symbol of fear - rabbits have 2 choices in life, they can be paralyzed by the fear that they are experiencing and freeze in that moment of being overwhelmed (deer in the headlights complex), or they can move through their fear. Every rabbit's challenge. My father says of rabbits in his epigrammatic way, "a smart rabbit always has 2 holes". An escape route when the dogs come around. For too many years, I have been a 1 hole rabbit. That could sound sexual but it's not. Dad also says "ride a horse to find your horse". That one baffled for years until one day Kort suggested substituting the word "mule" for the first horse. "Ride a mule to find your horse." Right!