Monday, February 09, 2004

Gave two 45 minute presentations to the students of Booker T Washington High School and an afternoon Q & A/workshop session with 2 groups of kids. Both presentations were to audiences of about 400 +. That was not so bad at all, though as to be expected with teens, some were snoozing (early in the morning!) and some were goofing off, chit chatting during my talk. But the vast majority of faces that I looked upon were engaged and curious and appreciative. I wish that art magnet schools had been around when I was in high school. What a difference that would have made! These kids were smart, mature, process-oriented, and open. Amazing in short. In the afternoon workshop there was some good writing off of Andy Warhol images, Francis Bacon paintings, and other pieces. One of the students I met, a visual artist/ sophomore named Gina had heard of Naropa and was very curious about it. Could totally see her there too. The staff of Booker T is amazing - working/teaching artists - my host and the festival coordinator, Scott Davison full of humor and a lightness - organized the whole show voluntarily and made the whole thing run smoothly as was possible. Thanks to Scott, thanks to Booker T, thanks to the students!