Tuesday, February 17, 2004

Met Thomas Coburn and Leigh Berry on Friday night. Kort and I were two of very few Naropa alumni who showed up. Dr. Coburn's iniatives are basically to 1) build adequate housing for undergrads 2) pay faculty better 3) strengthen analytical skills emphasized in curriculum. I think that's all I can remember. No plans in immediate future for PhD programs - the whole don't want to spread to far out and be less effective... BUT was heartening/exciting to hear of possibilities for a "Naropa East" campus - sort of like the Oakland satellite campus and new branch in London?

Got to meet Bernie Flynn, former general in the "Trungpa army", and owner of Trident bookstore on Newbury. Bernie was delightful - shared many funny stories about Trungpa and the early days. Bernie's goodbye to K and me was an unusual and random one, but I liked it's wackiness. To Kort he said "Stay married." To me, he said "You, too."

Our friend Nicole actually came to Buddhism and Naropa thru the Flynns and working at the Trident years ago. The Flynns kept a meditation cushion in the back room and their spiritual/religion section well stocked with Trungpa titles. Nicole was always curious about the cushion, it seemed familiar and right. The cushion led to readings led to Naropa led to the path.