Monday, October 25, 2004

The DSL has been down here which has its pluses and minuses. On the plus side, I completed my opera synopsis and sent it off to my collaborator in New Zealand. Also prepped a talk at the last minute which I will give tonite to a creative writing class offered by the Writer's Garrett. The workshop leader is a fiction specialist and sent me a woeful email on Friday morning asking if I would pinch hit on the poetry unit. I think I will use the opportunity to talk about the similarities between fiction and poetry, how poetry differs from fiction, and read some works from A Van Jordan, Andrew Schelling, and Arthur Sze to represent the diversity of what's being done in contemporary poetry. And than I will bring the group downstairs to my gallery for a discussion on ekphrastic poetry and visual poetry and a viewing of "Unnecesssary Roughness".

The intern for the Southside program just started a blog for the program. Visit it here. Nothing posted yet, but will be interesting to see how the blog evolves - as a place to promote the artists, or to document process, who knows.

I cooked roasted okra for my first potluck event last night for the artists in res and met the other folk who share studios on this wing of the building. I am 1 of 3 women in the program and the only writer. Most of the artists seem to be local/have some Texas connection - to SMU, UNT, UTD, on the youngish side, median age I would guess would be late 20s.

No comments: