Hey Shin Yu...I hope others had a chance to read your post before you were forced to remove it (what is this madness? now there's no free speech in the blogosphere? crazy...).
Anyways, you offered much-needed insight into the issue(s), and I admire the way you chose to speak your mind.
That is pure insanity and paranoia and a host of other diagnoses i am sure i am not qualified to make. i am certain ms. chang does not understand the medium in which she is dealing. Thank you, Shin Yu for using this space. A pillow book, indeed. and it should damn well be. You have my support
I think you are well justified in stating your own opinions in your own blog which is your space to do so what you choose and nobody should stick their head into your space and force you to add or remove any commentary you make regardless of it being negative or positive to a person or persons outside of your blog. By the way, I love your book of poems! Nick Carbo
shin yu, i'm not sure why victoria chang is threatening legal action because you posted her email in your blog when she did the same thing to cathy park song not too long ago. cathy had apparently scoffed at victoria's selections of her book in the anthology, and then victoria ridiculed her to the point of making her apologize. anyway, im not here to fuel any more anger since our asian community needs to heal but i do feel she's not being fair. anyway, it'd your voice. but this is bush america for another 4 years, so there you have it. fascism endures.
Found yr blog via Bino. Wow, this shit has really gotten out of control. Miss Victoria's got some serious insecurity issues if she's got to force people to take down posts. What a tripper! Looking forward to reading more of yr blog and poetry (and seeing I heart huckabees).--RF
I don't know your work or Victoria Chang's, but I heard about your dispute last week, read this particular entry, and thought that your rebuttal to her e-mail was cogent and articulate. I hope you kept a copy of your words for their clarity and insight are truly valuable to the poetry community.
jeepers creeppers. I can't believe a BLOG is being censored. Rock on, Shin yu--she did the same thing w/ someone else's email and vented about her for days. Could it be she doesnt want any bad press as her book is coming out soon?? PEACE OUT!
imagine my surprise when i was told yesterday that Victoria Chang asked you to take down your powerful & articulate response to her accusatory e-mails from your OWN blog, threatening legal action! Double my surprise when I logged onto your blog this morning! Victoria did the exact same thing undeservedly to poor Cathy Park Hong, which sparked this fire. luckily i had the chance to read your blog last week, and i just want to express how much i admire you for handling the situation. very intelligent, cogent and classy. i'm a non-blogger by nature--altho a blogger lurker--hence, this personal e-mail. I really believe Victoria could've handled herself better, as an editor, poet and most importantly as an open-minded, generous individual, which she professed herself to be. she was in such a position that she could've started a real positive dialogue on the state of Asian American poetry, hence, building a stronger community. Sigh.
anyway, my 2 cents. hope all is well with you. take care.
From: Patrick Rosal - prosal@gomarky.com To: shinyu32@hotmail.com Subject: blogs etc. Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 11:27:18 -0500
Shin Yu,
Joseph Legaspi forwarded me the url to your blog. I have no moralistic view on what's been popping off in the weeks since the Next Gen release. I did want to let you know I thought it was bizarre and awfully hardball of Victoria to threaten you with legal action re: your blog post.
I made a completely self deprecatory remark on my own blog about not being included in Next Gen. To be fair, Victoria in a comment she posted was gracious to me about not including my own work in the anthology--even though my post was far from a complaint.
As much as I think her project in some ways is very admirable, I think the anthology is problematic. The larger situation--this fragmentation--has got me wondering what's at stake for whom in all of this. How did she not stand her editorial ground and, as one commenter on your blog noted, allow the clamor to be a point of departure for critique and dialogue? How much of this is personality conflict and how much of it points to real schisms in our communities? (purely rhetorical questions i assure you)
OK -- I'm sure you've heard more than enough about all of this. I wanted to say, more importantly, that I was impressed with your poems and your reading at Verlaine a little while back--plauful, literate, and interesting. I'm glad I caught you there.
I stumbled on your blog, late last week, and though I skimmed through the argument, I found nothing to suggest that Victoria Chang's "legal" threat is anything but cowardly and petty.
Victoria Chang NOT a climber? Good grief. How then, to explain the fact that her 'Next Generation Anthology' comprises in part, if not entirely, her MBA THESIS? We're talking a Masters Degree in BUSINESS here, people. BUSINESS! For those who were in the dark about this--doesn't the commercial nature of the anthology make sense now? And how!
Shin Yu, Truth is ALWAYS a defense. If the poor girl, whom I know little to nothing about nor do I care to, as I do not follow the Industry of Poetry, has resurrected the long dead shriek of the "I be much abused by ye" banshee, it is incumbent upon you and all others, who have been haunted, to turn the lantern upon the ghoul and send it back to its cairn.
There must be no tolerance for bullies, especially for phantom ones.
14 comments:
Thanks for removing it. I appreciate it.
Hey Shin Yu...I hope others had a chance to read your post before you were forced to remove it (what is this madness? now there's no free speech in the blogosphere? crazy...).
Anyways, you offered much-needed insight into the issue(s), and I admire the way you chose to speak your mind.
That is pure insanity and paranoia and a host of other diagnoses i am sure i am not qualified to make. i am certain ms. chang does not understand the medium in which she is dealing. Thank you, Shin Yu for using this space. A pillow book, indeed. and it should damn well be. You have my support
I think you are well justified in stating your own opinions in your own blog which is your space to do so what you choose and nobody should stick their head into your space and force you to add or remove any commentary you make regardless of it being negative or positive to a person or persons outside of your blog. By the way, I love your book of poems!
Nick Carbo
shin yu, i'm not sure why victoria chang is threatening legal action because you posted her email in your blog when she did the same thing to cathy park song not too long ago. cathy had apparently scoffed at victoria's selections of her book in the anthology, and then victoria ridiculed her to the point of making her apologize. anyway, im not here to fuel any more anger since our asian community needs to heal but i do feel she's not being fair. anyway, it'd your voice. but this is bush america for another 4 years, so there you have it. fascism endures.
Found yr blog via Bino. Wow, this shit has really gotten out of control. Miss Victoria's got some serious insecurity issues if she's got to force people to take down posts. What a tripper! Looking forward to reading more of yr blog and poetry (and seeing I heart huckabees).--RF
I don't know your work or Victoria Chang's, but I heard about your dispute last week, read this particular entry, and thought that your rebuttal to her e-mail was cogent and articulate. I hope you kept a copy of your words for their clarity and insight are truly valuable to the poetry community.
jeepers creeppers. I can't believe a BLOG is being censored. Rock on, Shin yu--she did the same thing w/ someone else's email and vented about her for days. Could it be she doesnt want any bad press as her book is coming out soon?? PEACE OUT!
dear Shin Yu,
imagine my surprise when i was told yesterday that Victoria Chang asked you
to take down your powerful & articulate response to her accusatory e-mails
from your OWN blog, threatening legal action! Double my surprise when I
logged onto your blog this morning! Victoria did the exact same thing
undeservedly to poor Cathy Park Hong, which sparked this fire. luckily i
had the chance to read your blog last week, and i just want to express how
much i admire you for handling the situation. very intelligent, cogent and
classy. i'm a non-blogger by nature--altho a blogger lurker--hence, this
personal e-mail. I really believe Victoria could've handled herself better, as an editor, poet and most importantly as an open-minded, generous individual, which she professed herself to be. she was in such a position that she could've started a real positive dialogue on the state of Asian American poetry, hence, building a stronger community. Sigh.
anyway, my 2 cents. hope all is well with you. take care.
respectfully yours,
From: Patrick Rosal - prosal@gomarky.com
To: shinyu32@hotmail.com
Subject: blogs etc.
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 11:27:18 -0500
Shin Yu,
Joseph Legaspi forwarded me the url to your blog. I have no moralistic view on what's been popping off in the weeks since the Next Gen release. I did want to let you know I thought it was bizarre and awfully hardball of Victoria to threaten you with legal action re: your blog post.
I made a completely self deprecatory remark on my own blog about not being included in Next Gen. To be fair, Victoria in a comment she posted was gracious to me about not including my own work in the anthology--even though my post was far from a complaint.
As much as I think her project in some ways is very admirable, I think the anthology is problematic. The larger situation--this fragmentation--has got me wondering what's at stake for whom in all of this. How did she not stand her editorial ground and, as one commenter on your blog noted, allow the clamor to be a point of departure for critique and dialogue? How much of this is personality conflict and how much of it points to real schisms in our communities? (purely rhetorical questions i assure you)
OK -- I'm sure you've heard more than enough about all of this. I wanted to say, more importantly, that I was impressed with your poems and your reading at Verlaine a little while back--plauful, literate, and interesting. I'm glad I caught you there.
Best of luck with the book.
Patrick Rosal
I meant to say the poems are "plaYful and literate" and clearly in this instance I'm not the latter.
I stumbled on your blog, late last week, and though I skimmed through the argument, I found nothing to suggest that Victoria Chang's "legal" threat is anything but cowardly and petty.
Victoria Chang NOT a climber? Good grief. How then, to explain the fact that her 'Next Generation Anthology' comprises in part, if not entirely, her MBA THESIS? We're talking a Masters Degree in BUSINESS here, people. BUSINESS! For those who were in the dark about this--doesn't the commercial nature of the anthology make sense now? And how!
Here's a comment received via email...
Shin Yu,
Truth is ALWAYS a defense. If the poor girl, whom I know little to nothing about nor do I care to, as I do not follow the Industry of Poetry, has resurrected the long dead shriek of the "I be much abused by ye" banshee, it is incumbent upon you and all others, who have been haunted, to turn the lantern upon the ghoul and send it back to its cairn.
There must be no tolerance for bullies, especially for phantom ones.
- Christopher Metzger
Post a Comment