Opening tomorrow of Conspicuous Production at The MAC. I've been feeling a weird and distinct lack of excitement around this exhibition. Dropped off the work on Tuesday night and caught a sneak preview of the catalog. Seeing the layout, If I could go back and do again, I would give the graphic designer just 1 image/text sample, which is apparently what some of my program mates did at the risk of being "difficult".
I've gone from having almost no routine in the past 9 months to now having a very regimented life in the last month - I am a commuter again, riding public transportation to and from my job at the agency while Kort spends the day building his acupuncture practice. Every day I pass the grassy knoll where JFK was gunned down. Yesterday, the train that I was riding went out of service but I missed the announcement on the intercom so I rode around thru several stops in a darkened car until mustering enough pluck to page the conductor and ask to be dropped off, and luckily it coincided with my home station. On the walk from Walnut Hill to my office, I pass a man made reservoir around an apartment complex where I see dads and sons fishing and pass by goose poo and ducks every day. Last week I saw an egret. I recognized it from the U.S. postage stamp and from reading Tom's Volunteer Geraniums. It is said that birds reflect the health of the ecosystem - pigeons, geese, ducks, mallards, crows and egrets cross my path every day. I may not have noticed them until I got out of the car. Driving is a luxury that I'm glad that I won't indulge in. Think Marky Mark in Huckabees - petrol is evil. Happy hour in a few hours here at work. Beer and wine in the lounge. A happy hour like a happy meal, thinking of Mark's cheeseburgers.
Because our marriage officiant is of the Karma Kagyu lineage (Trungpa's lineage), Kort's started going to the local branch - Karma Thegsum Choling. Last night we went over to the meeting house to practice, Thursday night is the chanting of Chenrezig sutra, in Tibetan. We got there late because of my train detour and were totally lost until one of the senior students (who read the sutra in Tibetan vs. English) kindly pointed out where we were. The teacher at KTC is Lama La, aka the Laughing Lama. I like that. I could use a little more laughter in my life. My sutra book was an embarrassing and misfolded yellow fabric mess. I watched as Kort patiently rewrapped the slips of paper into a perfect package. Flashback to Omar and me at the dharma center in Boulder. Tomorrow Kort goes with me to see gura Michelle Andrie at Priya Yoga. Before I started going back to yoga, my thoughts had been that I should practice towards becoming a yoga teacher. If you're going to study, you might as well work towards something. I have to say that this mentality has very quickly melted away. It feels much more sane to cultivate awareness and enjoy this process of growth and awakening, vs. striving for externals - which has gotta be the lesson that I'm destined to master in this lifetime.