It's September 12 and fall quarter starts in 12 days. Cripes!
I need a vacation. Badly.
I am going to Boston for the Chinese Poetry Festival at Simmons College in a few weeks. Haven't been back to Boston since K and I left in 2004. Our house in Watertown near the Charles River and Mt. Auburn Cemetery was the best apartment we ever had - hardwood floors, enough room for two office spaces, vintage crystalware, huge display cabinets, huge kitchen, sun porch for writing, and a very kind landlord. I am not really nostalgic for Boston, but I am looking forward to getting on a plane and seeing college friends and my Taiwanese friend Mei. A lot has changed in four years. The acupuncture school relocated, a lot of poets vacated. I got what I needed from Boston living their the second time around.
I have been napping unusual amounts.
I read a book by an anthropologist that is an ethnographic study of body language in courtship. It was horribly written - very Cosmo and it made me think about how courtship strategies could be applied to performances and poetry readings to entice an audience - hand gestures, dress, etc. I flirted with the idea of actually applying these principals and went as far as wearing pink to last night's SAM reading. An interesting discovery in the book - women in the 19th century used to dilate their eyes with belladonna for that come hither look. Where can I find the nearest belladonna?
I don't know what I'm doing for the Subtext reading on October 1. Food poems? Body poems? I have been sitting with the blackanese idea and nothing is presenting itself. I am writing Buddhistic narrative poems instead. Ten-year anniversary of my refuge vows took place this summer.
I've been having Alexander Technique lessons on a weekly basis which has helped with the yoga practice. I am becoming aware of inefficient patterns of movement and rest and unnecessary pressure on my spine.
I miss my acupuncturist and getting body work.
I am waiting for K to help orient me on my video-editing software.
I am reading Vincent Crapanzano's ethnography of a Moroccan tile-maker.
I turn 33 years old in sixteen days. The "Jesus Year" some people call it. This is what I want to manifest:
0) publish ADAMANTINE in a beautiful edition
1) a house in Greenlake
2) a business with Kort
3) a regular spiritual practice
4) a return to music, my first love
5) progress with the family
Also, I would like to acquire more skills and take bigger risks. Skills like glass-blowing and scuba diving and such. Maybe letterpress printing.