Tuesday, September 30, 2008

This past weekend, K and I went to another Wedgewood coop party. We went to one of their parties last Fall - we had just moved to Seattle and the coop had just handbuilt a cob oven in their backyard for wood-firing pizzas. There was a ritual related to the earth then - taking a handful of cob/earth and putting it on a communal canvas. This year, there was a ritual related to air (makes sense, Libra is an air sign), to letting go of pollution and creating cleansing and healing. Kort sat down at the African drum circle and never got up again, so I wandered into the backyard where I met a naturopath/sailing instructor who was making Smores with his 10-year-old son. Upstairs the hip hop band Hamburger Pimp played funk. I picked up some free books on feminism. I read a poem aloud and listened to Eden and Angel, coop goddesses, and Mimi Allin read their work. Seattle's been good to us - I've been lucky to find great people outside and inside the walls of academia. The partial occasion of the gathering was yet another coop member's birthday - so he MC'ed and made a few comments, using the occasion to encourage people to register to vote and to do more than simply register, but to find ways to organize and mobilize others. Kort found the agenda to be a bit didactic, but I found it energizing. Like minds, etc.