Friday, September 17, 2004

My favorite RSVPs to our party have been from Kort's friend Mint who says, "I'll stop by, please serve low carb." and from my dear friend Walker who says "You don't seem like Texans." Which brings up the inevitable question of what is the stereotypical image that people have of Texans? And what relationship does/can place have to our identities? You can bet that I will not be putting on an extra 50 pounds in what may be the fattest state in America according to Morgan Spurlock's "Super Size Me" or rubbing elbows with Republicans and supporters of Bush. What defines "Texan"? For me, Texas is defined by Southern hospitality, ethnic diversity, great museums, funding for the arts, and the best Mexican food you'll find North of the border, the place where Kort grew up, the place where I lived and labored for a year, had about 100 lovely ladies surrogate mothering me and my fledgling career in the arts, and made many wonderful friends who are still very much in my heart. A launching pad for the next big adventure. And on the down side, there's driving...

Here is what we're serving for our Ganesha feast day farewell soiree - I don't know how much of it is low carb option...

pappadum
various chutneys
vegetarian samosa

turkish delight
ginger senbei
homemade rum balls
Asian mochi

etc.

If you're coming, bring your dancing shoes. We've cleared the living room for dancing for our somatic minded friends!

No comments: