Thursday, December 01, 2005

Entered grades for my students on the automated system - 11 A's and two B's. I was annoyed to find out from the university that at the graduate level, + and - are not accepted in the system, so if I had assigned a student an A-, their grade would have been upgraded to an A. If I gave a B+, downgraded to a B. I find that problematic. In my book, A's are for students who exceed just doing the work, more than what's needed to get by - they show up to every class, participate in discussions, show engagement and generosity with the work of their peers, etc. A- is for those students who say very little and write good poems but otherwise show reserved/controlled engagement, or it is for students who have shown great growth in their deepening of the craft, do not yet quite "get it" but who's radical efforts merit acknowledgement. I gave one B+, to a student whose work changed very little and who when I'd call on him he would blow sunshine/heap praise vs. delivering on a focused critique. This was sadly rounded down in the system. Of course, this is all total bullshit because on the deeper level, I do not believe in grades, I believe strictly in PASS/FAIL with a "grade option" - i.e. if they want the performance measurement for their transcripts, I'll dispense it but otherwise, forget the end outcome and focus on the process.

No comments: