Friday, December 02, 2005

I walked out the front door of our building this morning to be greeted by an angry mob of all male protestors gathered in front of police headquarters on the corner of Lamar and Belleview. A group of men from various ethnicities, though primarly African-American holding signs and chanting "What about Jesus?" The signs had something to do with Dallas Mayor Laura Miller - and had some references to getting citizens off of drugs - I can only guess that this may be a response to the closing of one of the local homeless shelters downtown (because it's located too close to a public school). I don't actually know if it's happened yet, but know that it's been talked about for quite some time and the treatment of the homeless in this town is somewhat appalling - unannounced police and trash sweeps, seizure of possessions, etc. I was puzzled that the protest was happening in front of police HQ - the news crew (Fox in particular) shoot stories here all the time with the multi-million building as a backdrop - but the environment typically has nothing to do with the story. Why wasn't this group over at City Hall?

No comments: